Sunday, May 29, 2005

Sirkusdirektørens datter - av Jostein Gårder

After reading Ratih's blog entry today, about the Orange Girl, I was inspired to dig into one of the boxes full of books of mine. That's right, it will be a problem when I go back to Indonesia! I remember that I got a book by Jostein Gårder, the author of Sophie's World, which was part of the welcoming package when I joined a book club. Yes, the package consisted of five hard-cover books for free! I chose several famous Norwegian writers, among them was Jostein Gårder. I was hoping that it was "Appelsinspiken" (The orange girl, appelsin = orange, en pike = a girl, piken = the girl).

But it was not! The book I have is "Sirkusdirektørens datter" - The Circus Director's Daughter. I read it righ away and covered 20 pages before writing this blog entry. Of course, as I told Yani to, I put this into my "Reading Log". I am so productive today! I read a lot of pages from a lot of books! It gets my brain going before I start writing and reading for my thesis.

Get back to the book, it is about, as obviously stated in the title, a daughter of a circus director. The story of this girl was made up or "invented" by the character "I", the protagonist of the novel when "I" was little. "I" told this story to her/his mom. "I" told me, the reader in the form of a reminiscene of his/her past by taking a story from a diary. So far, the interesting part was the process of creating the circus girl story, not to mention the way Gårder, tell us the reader about the layered story. A good lesson in writing technique for a wanna-be writer like you and me.

Is this book already translated to Indonesian?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home