Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Area X: Hymne Angkasa Raya

I have been reading 50 pages of the aforementioned book (in the title of this post) by Eliza V. Handayani. Just need to ease myself after reading articles for my thesis. When I bought the novel in Surabaya last time, I did not have much expectation beside the curiousity I always have. Yes, curiousity is my dearest friend!

I must say that I am fascinated by this novel. The author is still so young (24) but has achieved so much in writing skill, and I am sure, she has a potential in the future. The novel belongs to a new genre: "sastra yang pinter", borrowing Taufiq Ismail's term from the preface. Reading those 50 pages, I found many bits and pieces from my childhood reading: Enid Blyton's Lima Sekawan, Hitchcock's Trio Detektif, and more recently, Carl Sagan's Contact. Also films like X-Files, and I am sure, other sci-fi films detailing the future must be the source of inspiration to this novel.

Again, I must say that I am so envious of her. I wish I could write and have produced a novel by now! But, well, people walk different paths in life. I hope someday I can write and publish something. Just a happy thought for now! Looking forward to reading it again.

:)

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger Irwan Syahrir said...

The main strength of the author is the ability to imagine the details of the novel, which writing fiction is all about.

English please!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home